Health insurance (RMA)

For the funding of healthcare, the COA and Arts en Zorg work together with a health insurance company in RMA Healthcare. RMA Healthcare has laid down in the Medical Care for Asylum Seekers Regulations (RMA)  which care asylum seekers are eligible to.

This package largely matches the Healthcare Insurance Act (Zvw) and the Long-Term Care Act (Wlz). An asylum seeker is also entitled to a number of components from the Social Support Act (Wmo). Care is always provided in kind, via contracted care providers. There is no own contribution and no excess. 

Asylum seekers are only fully eligible for the provisions from the RMA after 2 months. Until that time, they are only entitled to care that is medically necessary and care that cannot be delayed. This also applies to adults who have to leave the Netherlands again and are staying in a freedom-restricting centre or family centre for that reason. And for residents of an enforcement and supervision centre (htl). The rule does not apply to children.

The care provider determines which care is medically necessary. In doing so, they can take into consideration the expected period of stay in the Netherlands. The COA does not influence these choices.

Dental care

Adult asylum seekers (18+) are only entitled to dental care if they have serious pain and/or chewing complaints (emergency care), to a maximum of 250 euros per year. For children, there is more extensive dental care, including a preventive annual check. More detailed information about the payment of dental care is available in the Medical Care for Asylum Seekers Regulations (RMA).

Status holders

As long as status holders are entitled to reception by the COA, they are also entitled to medical care via the COA. When they leave the reception centre and move to an own home in the municipality, they must take out their own health insurance.

Payment of care for children

Children in a reception centre get the same medical care as Dutch children. This also applies to children who need extra care because of a disability. In some cases, a family needs larger or adjusted accommodation in the reception centre for this reason. We can also place a special bed or sling hoist, or deploy home care to nurse the child so that the child can remain living at home in the reception centre. In all cases, we discuss with the GZA what is medically necessary.