What can I make a complaint about?

You can file a complaint about various issues such as:

  • the help a COA staff member provides
  • the alternatives at a location
  • feeling unsafe at a location  

If you have a complaint about another resident you should contact a COA staff member at your azc.

Complaints concerning the ties with a municipality, a transfer, or measures (such as withholding the weekly allowance) are subject to a different procedure.

For more information, ask a COA staff member.

How do I make a complaint?

Start by discussing your complaint with a COA staff member. He or she may be able to help you straight away.

If not, you will find a special complaint form at some COA locations which you can complete.  Enquire at the Infobalie.

You can also write down your complaint in a letter or an email in either Dutch or English. Or you can ask your lawyer or a staff member from VluchtelingenWerk to help you with this.

Hand over your letter to the location manager or to the COA Legal Affairs Department.

Send your letter to this address:

T.a.v. team Juridische zaken
Postbus 30203
2500 GE Den Haag

Or by email to:

When will I get a response to my letter?

You will usually get a response to your complaint within 6 weeks. Sometimes, more time is needed for a response. In that case, it will take a maximum of 10 weeks before you get your response.

What should I do if I'm still not satisfied?

If you are not satisfied with COA's response to your complaint, please contact klachten@coa.nl. You can also contact the Nationale Ombudsman.This is an organisation that helps you if you have issues with the government. You must do this within a year of receiving an answer to your complaint.

Other languages

On MyCOA , the website for our residents, you find this information in multiple languages.